Saturday, August 22, 2009

Mary's Wedding

Yesterday hubby and I attended my old friend from high school, Mary's wedding. It was a good time- I got to catch up with some old high school friends I haven't seen in a long time, so that was nice. The party was a good time and Mary and her new hubby Alex look incredibly happy together and I am very happy for them.

I will admit however that I was a bit sad after we left the festivities. See Mary and I were very close friends in high school. We did everything together and we were there for many of each other's milestones. While we got along well, we often clashed as we are both stubborn....
Over the years she went away to MSU for college and I stayed home and we kept in touch for awhile but after a few years we started to drift apart.

When I invited Mary to be in my wedding in 2007 we were still hanging out- but only about 3-4 times a year. And at my wedding I was a bit disappointed in a few things she did leaving me less than motivated to maintain the friendship. She was somewhat anti-marriage at the time and not as supportive as I would have liked her to be during one of the most joyful times in my life.
So, time went on and our relationship dwindled.

And at her wedding, while I was immensely happy for her I could tell...I won't see much of my old friend again after this.
She and her husband now live in California and even if they were closer, the truth remains... we have simply grown apart.
I love her dearly though, and always will, and while I wish we were able to be closer still- I guess that's just life...times change, people change- and that's ok.
Congrats Mary- I wish you and Alex all the best.

The Bride and I

Me and hubby
High School friend, Nichole and me
Me and Jenny
The bridesmaids, Nichole and Mary's sister Katie
The new Mr. and Mrs.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Life changes and peoples goals change. Cherish the memories that you shared with Mary,nothing ,even life,can take those from you