Wednesday, June 30, 2010

We pulled it off!!!

So this past weekend some friends and I managed to pull off a surprise birthday party for one of my close friends Lori.

Lori, for the past few years, had been mentioning how she's never had a surprise party and she wants one etc. Well last year (thinking it was her 30th-opps) I e-mailed her husband Jim to say he better be planning a surprise party...but of course it was her 29th birthday so it wasn't happening.

So this year when 30 really was coming around I thought to myself- well this would be the perfect year to throw her that surprise party. And not two weeks after I had that thought I got an e-mail from my friends' friend, and now my friend : ) - Jill. Jill said her and Jim wanted to throw Lori a surprise party and asked if I would help plan it. I had plans to go camping that weekend with five other families but there was no way I was missing out on this! So by the grace of all of those families, we got the camping trip moved and I e-mailed Jill as soon as I found out and said "hell yes I'll help!"
Jill, Jim and I kept the secret for about a month and then slowly started to bring other people in to help. My friend Brit offered to help in any way she could- so we put her on cake duty. Jill rounded up many mutual friends from where she works and many people pitched in to help...even Lori's parents and brother were in on the surprise!
When I sent the e-vites out in late May I was happy at how many people wanted to come and pitch in to help - it was clear we were going to have a great turn out...but I was sure with that many people invited someone would slip up...

The day of the party as I headed to Jills to help Jim and Jill's boyfriend and sister set-up early, my stomach was in knots. I was so worried something would blow the surprise, or that people would get to the party late or that something would happen!! But Jill did a great job of keeping the birthday girl busy, and stalling, and the surprise was perfect! She had no idea! Awesome.

Those months of planning were well worth it to see the happy look on her face. Here she is minutes after the big surprise.


Happy Birthday Lori!

1 comment:

Lori Z said...

Totally awesome job you guys did! And I really was surprised!