Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The ONE...

I was reading Miss' blog the other day and came across a blogging trend I thought I would jump on the bandwagon with. This trend being describing your husband and why he's the one for you. Well first of all when I was younger I never really gave much thought to what my future husband would be like. I was a typical Tom-boy feminist, and OK still am in many respects...I didn't want to get married or, God forbid, change my name! I thought the married woman was often reduced to nothing more than a "baby-maker" and housekeeper in our society and I was NOT going to turn into that! But as I got older I realized you are what you allow yourself to become and, in many respects, you chose who to be with and have control over others' expectations of you.

When I was 22, shortly after breaking it off with my long-term high school sweetheart I began dating HIM. The ONE, and I knew he was the one almost right away.

Fred was everything I ever wanted and some things I never knew I wanted. He was not perfect, and had a few skeletons in the closet, but the truth remained he was the one for me. Within four months of dating I knew I wanted to marry him and even take on his name!
Fred is 10 years and 6 weeks my senior, and this actually works very well for us. I had to mature a great deal at a young age and take on many responsibilities so I needed someone who could relate, and an older man was just the ticket!
Fred is quiet, brooding and thoughtful. Even without a high level of education he can keep up with the best of them and grasps new concepts quickly. I think many people think he is less intelligent than he really is (maybe because of his size or looks) but they are so wrong. He's one of the smartest people I know.
He's sarcastic and has a great sense of humor- something I find vital in a relationship.

He is traditional, yet not old fashioned. He has a deep and genuine respect for women that I find is a rarity in many men. He is hard-working and extremely protective, yet not possessive. He lets me be my own person and supports me unconditionally. He is tough, yet actually quit sensitive and can have his feelings hurt rather easily.
He is also absent-minded and forgetful, which drives me a bit crazy at times. He leaves things laying around the house like he doesn't know where the trash can is, let alone what its used for. But, he splits the household duties with me 50/50 so this more than makes up for the messes he leaves behind him.
He has moments of being closed-off that can drive me mad, I can't stand when he gets moody- but I am lucky that only happens about 5% of the time.
The best thing about my husband is...he loves all of me, the good, the bad. He finds me attractive no matter what I look like or what illness I have. He is supportive, encouraging and loving. He's everything I ever wanted and more : ) ...now if I can just get him to put his socks in the hamper...

No comments: