Monday, April 20, 2009

Always a care-giver

I just read an interesting blog by fellow blogger, Rachel, and a personality test she was taking for a class at work. It is Kroeger's work but the personality test employed by Kroeger is the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory. Back in my Psychology days (boy I miss those classes, really I do...) we learned how the Myers-Briggs is designed and how its interpretation lends to the ways in which temperament, experiences and brain functioning (perception) shape a person's personality- its extremely interesting.
I remember taking the test myself in class- and I, ironically enough, I have all my old class notes out to help me study for my Advance Generalist Boards exam.

I am: Extroverted Sensing Feeling Judging
ESFJs are life's protectors (surprise, surprise LOL!)

They enjoy and joyfully observe traditions and are liberal in giving. All else being equal, ESFJs enjoy being in charge. They see problems clearly and delegate easily, work hard and play with zest. ESFJs bear strong allegiance to rights of seniority. They willingly provide service and expect the same from others.
ESFJs are easily wounded. And when wounded, their emotions will not be contained. They by nature "wear their hearts on their sleeves," often exuding warmth but not infrequently boiling over with the vexation of their souls.
Strong, contradictory forces often consume the ESFJ. Their sense of right and wrong wrestles with an overwhelming rescuing, 'mothering' drive. This sometimes results in swift, immediate action taken upon a transgressor, followed by stern reprimand; ultimately, however, the transgressor is forgiven and "saved" as quickly as it was reprimanded.
As caretakers, ESFJs sense danger all around, germs within, the elements without, unscrupulous malefactors, insidious character flaws. The world is a dangerous place, not to be trusted. Not that the ESFJ is paranoid; 'hyper-vigilant' would be more precise. And thus they serve excellently as protectors, outstanding in fields such as medical care and social service.

Well I would say that is pretty accurate for me. I am constantly conflicted between right and wrong and protecting others. It is not in my nature to think of myself first, if at all- and I expect the same from others and need to realize not everone is this way. I do act rashly at times and often regret it afterwards. But, that passion also allows me to be an extremely loyal and protective ally- I will, and have, done absolutely anything to protect those I love- and I am proud of that.
But I'll tell ya one thing all this protecting has me pretty darn exhausted...I think I need a vacation : )

1 comment:

Rachel A said...

it is all pretty interesting stuff. We have the E and the J in common! meaning we are both extroverts and like order, although how they get from "judging" to mean liking order and structure is kinda confusing to me.