Monday, June 8, 2009

Losing a free spirit, gaining wisdom

So after a few days of consideration I decided to take myself off of social networking sites and just step away for awhile. I made the decision after realizing that in all actuality while I think the ability to re-connect with old friends and stay more connected to current friends is great, the people who are truly important in my life contact me without these websites.
They actually call me or e-mail me to connect.
I guess I just wanted to pull-back- I don't think everyone needs to know everything about me and what I am doing, and I'm learning I don't really want to know everything about everyone else either...
I don't know, the bottom line is most of the time I just really think I should be doing something else...
I am on my computer the entire time I am at work and I keep this blog (although lately I haven't had much motivation to post either)- so I think being more "unplugged" for awhile might be a good thing.
My closest friend and I will have a laugh because after months of telling her she has to join she just joined the site and now I am leaving LOL!
I'll probably re-activate eventually but in the meantime it might be nice to take a break- we'll see...

This year has been very strange for me thus far. I have noticed myself changing so much that from day to day. On one hand I am becoming more cynical- I am realizing that those who have the ability to love me unconditionally are very rare. I am becoming more introverted. While I used to jump at the opportunity to join a party now I consider whether its worth the effort to go and talk to people and put on a happy face when that day I may simply not feel happy. I find myself being more quiet in social situations and observing more and talking less- which may not always be a bad thing. I am learning sometimes it may be more important just to listen.

On the other hand I am learning to be more comfortable in my own skin. I am realizing my true worth both personally and professionally. I am able to stand up for myself, speak my mind, and I am developing the wisdom to know when to speak my mind and when to simply not bother. I am learning to pick my battles instead of running head-first into them. I am becoming more comfortable with my body, valuing all the wonderful things about it and coming to peace with all the things I would like to change.
I am learning to say "no" and for once to put myself and my needs first- even if it may not make someone else happy. I am not living anyone else's life- I am living my life and I deserve to be happy.
Most importantly I am finding peace within myself instead of searching for it from material things or other people.

I guess this might be that "wisdom" thing my mother talks about LOL...while it may not be as fun as being carefree and ignorant of the ills of life and people, it somehow feels more safe- more certain. I trust myself more and that alone is worth it.

3 comments:

Lori Z said...

Ya know, sometimes I tell myself that I'm on the computer way too much or that I watch too much TV and there's definitely something better I could be doing with my time. I just can't take myself away from them though! Like I give props to people who can go without cable and internet but I just can't. That's why I like going up north...no internet up there. And go fig...I manage just fine lol.

Rachel L said...

yeah its no slight to anyone who uses technology, its fun and I do enjoy it. But when it becomes a little too consuming I guess I just decided it was time to take a break. I am sure I'll go back but for now I'm gonna try to do other stuff- and I am so NOT giving up TV!!!!

Andrea said...

I guess I get this. I deleted my My Space for that reason,well mainly becouse I just spend too much time on the Computor. Facebook is fun tho,kind of a quicker look at what everyone is up to. Just enjoy yourself. If its not fun anymore ,why do it?