Friday, May 15, 2009

One year ago...

My life changed forever. On Santorini, Greece I was afflicted with a deep vein thrombosis while on my honeymoon. Due to the serious nature of deep vein clots, and their tendency to travel to the heart or lungs (pulmonary embolism) I was airlifted to a hospital in Crete where they had a Vascular Department capable of providing surgery should I need it.
I was hospitalized for four days and forbidden to fly (due to the altitude changes). Finally, 12 days after my hospitalization I was allowed to fly back home.
Upon arriving back in Michigan I was admitted to St. John Hospital and diagnosed with Factor V Leiden and a severe Protein S Deficiency, my health, and life, as I had known it would be forever changed.
I am now required to be on anti-coagulation therapy for life, either in the form of Coumadin or a shot, Lovenox (Celexane). I wear orthopedic compression stockings to keep my leg from swelling and to increase the circulation. I also visit the doctor weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) to have my blood levels drawn and adjust my medication accordingly. I usually have to schedule at least an hour or two every day to elevate my legs and I now sleep with a pillow "wedge" that allows my legs to be elevated. I must refrain from eating foods high in Vitamin K and need to be careful with any meds I take, as many interact with Coumadin. It is not easy. It is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. But it has made me appreciate so much in my life.

Now, one year later I am so thankful. I am thankful to be alive. I am thankful the clot did not travel, or kill me, or disable me for life. I am grateful for all that my body can do and I try not to concentrate on the things I can no longer do. I don't take my body for granted anymore- and I think that is a lessen few learn until much later in life.
I can only hope this appreciation will benefit me in the long run and save me from some other illness because I pledge now to take care of my health, and make it my top priority.

Its not easy. I usually have one day a week were I am in a lot of pain and may sometimes need to cancel plans or activities. My left thigh is now two inches larger than my right, making pants difficult to wear. My stocking is uncomfortable, hot and somewhat embarrassing to wear in the summer- I often catch people looking at it, and then quickly looking away and I can see the questions in their eyes. No one expects to see that on someone so young...
But all and all I am doing incredibly well. I can run a half mile and exercise intensely four days a week. I have regained a full range of flexibility and about 80% of my strength back in that leg.
I'm a survivor and I am happy to be here.

I hope to live the rest of my life clot-free, although I know that is unlikely. But one thing is for sure, I am going to do the best that I can and never take my health for granted again.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

So proud of how far you have come since a year ago. I know how hard its been and I am in awe of how determined to have been to get healty! Great work!

LWLH said...

What an amazing journey, esp. since it started on your honeymoon (that sucks) but thank goodness your doing ok now..I hope you continue to live a happy, healthy life : )

Rachel L said...

thanks : )
You'd be surprised how many people do not understand what a huge milestone this is for me, oh well- guess they'd understand if they'd been through it.

Lori Z said...

love you!

Rachel L said...

: )