Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rest in Peace

So sad...an acquaintance's father dies, a co-workers infant cousin dies and now a dear friends' cousin's baby- only 15 month old, passes away suddenly.

I can't help but be deeply affected by all of these events. Death is such a major, yet often inevitable, part of life. I feel deeply for these people and in every single case- wish I could do something, anything, to help ease the pain.
But I know there is often nothing anyone can do. Nothing to say. Nothing will change what happened. Nothing will bring that person back.

And when its a child its almost more heart-wrenching. I am not a mother but I can only imagine that it is the single worst thing that can happen to a person; the loss of a child. Your children are supposed live after you, no one should ever have to bury a child- the pain is impossible to imagine.

I remember when my friend Colin died, we were 8. I remember the way his mother screamed and shook at the funeral. It was horrifying. I didnt realize it at the time, but that sound has stayed with me forever...

You are all in my thoughts and in my heart.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I agree. There can be no pain sharper than the loss of your child. I am sure you are never the same again. My heart and prayers go out to all of them!

LWLH said...

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose a child...it has to be the hardest thing.