Wednesday, February 11, 2009

25% of the way there...

So, I am continuing on my health quest. I wouldn't quite say that I am discouraged at this point, or encouraged...I think impatient is the word that fits best. When I set out on New Years Day to lose the weight I have gained in the last three years, I set out to lose 20% of my body weight. So far I have lost 5% of my body weight after only 6 weeks. I would like to set a time limit on reaching my goal, but I know that is not wise and can only lead to discouragement. So, I am trudging on towards my goal despite set-backs and plateaus. I know I'll get there eventually, I just don't know when.
I know I may talk about weight a lot, but it is, and always has been, a central factor in my life. At the end of high school I tipped the scales at 191 pounds and at 5'2" was on my way to diabetes and a shorter, sicker life. I dropped 65 pounds; 30 the first year, 10 the second year, 10 the third year and 15 the last year- that's right, it took me four years but at the age of 22 I finally reached my goal.
Now I lay somewhere in between my goal and my top weight, but because of recent health issues, and the desire to one day have a child, I realize its time to get back to a healthier weight and a healthier lifestyle. I just need to keep reminding myself that its not how long it takes you to complete the race that matters, but that you do, indeed, cross the finish line.

Day 1 and Day 42

Day 1 and Day 42

3 comments:

Andrea said...

AWESOME!! you look so much more toned and slimmer in the 2nd photos! Your doing great!!

ThoughtsON said...

You are well on your way!!! I should take some pics like this too. Seeing some results right there in front of you is always good motivation! Keep up the good work! :)

Rachel L said...

Thanks! yeah I realize they're not the most flattering pics but I needed to see a before and after to keep motivated.