Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Humanity

Quote of the day: "It is not hatred that kills, it is indifference."

Drove by the homeless man that sits in his wheelchair daily at Brush and 94 today. I observed how many people at the stoplight simply ignore the man and look straight ahead waiting, uncomfortably, for the light to turn green...no doubt so they can speed forward towards their day and ignore the sad stranger.
I always smile at the man...and sometimes I wave...and sometimes, if I have it, I'll give him a dollar or two.
The man strikes a cord with me because of his wheelchair and amputations and I can't help but think that if my father did not have his family and friends he could have easily been in this man's shoes.
I also think that maybe the dollar is not the greatest thing the man can receive, maybe that smile or wave does much more...the actual acknowledgment of his existence and recognizing his suffering as a fellow human being...this might be the greatest gift of all.
We are all a few good fortunes away from his position and I wish the public could acknowledge that the house they live in, or the car they drive, or job they hold does not make them any better than this man...only luckier.

1 comment:

Rachel A said...

good post, it really makes you think.