Thursday, December 18, 2008

You don't have to change the world if you can change yourself

Quote of the day: "If you are not using your life to better another's, than you are wasting your time." ~Will Smith

I love this quote, of course, I am a social worker. But to take it to another level, bettering someones life, or even self-sacrifice, doesn't have to be all that much work. Sometimes the greatest help is to listen to someone, and really hear them. Sympathizing, empathizing and doing things that nurture them emotionally and spiritually is what I value most in others. I don't need someone to loan me things, offer to help me move, save me coupons or run an errand for me (although those things are nice) what I really value is someone that understands me, understands what will hurt me- and refrains from doing it. I value someone that says, "How's your dad doing? I know you do a lot for him," or someone that is there to listen to me vent my frustrations and doesn't try to fix it, down-play it, or rationalize it, but simply listens.
I can take care of myself, what I look to others for is to pick me up when I fall down- not with their actions but with their words.
The greatest gift I've received is unconditional love and understanding- and I've found that very, very few people are capable of this. Very few people are capable of sacrificing part of themselves so that they don't hurt another. Very few people are capable of really putting themselves in another's shoe and, if not understanding, than accepting how another might feel or perceive a situation.
I would rather lose the opportunity to better myself, if in the process it means stepping on, or hurting, someone I love. It saddens me that this is not the norm.

Since 2008 seemed to be the year of the physical struggles- I hope in 2009 I can work on my spiritual side. I want to be a better person- not just physically, but emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

9 Changes for '09

1. I will work to transform my body into being stronger, leaner and healthier.
2. I will show my husband that I appreciate him more often.
3. I will take time away from the stress to capture special moments with my father, while he is still here, and I will record them.
4. I will rid myself of individuals who are a determent to my life and my happiness and instead surround myself with individuals who make me feel good about myself.
5. I will do all I can to develop myself as a Social Worker and attain my career aspirations- not based on money- but based on my interests.
6. I will try to adopt the "early bird" mentality- early to bed, early to rise...
7. I will engage in gossip less and reserve my secrets and feelings for those proven worthy enough to share them with- I will protect my heart better.
8. I will donate my time during a holiday to a homeless shelter, charity, needy family or organization.
9. I will realize that even if I don't accomplish these goals I am still worthy of them- I will be easier on myself, I will love myself more.

No comments: